Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

honda civic year 2000 1.4cc water pouring into front pasenger

Customer Question

honda civic year 2000 1.4cc water pouring into front pasenger floor well
Category: Honda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long do you think this will take?

Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately I can not give you a time. However, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im sorry to see you have had a wait.

Im happy to help you with this issue but before we progress... can you please tell me exactly , if anything, you have tried / done so far- ? ( if other than the sunroof and windscreen sealing )

Too - is it just the passenger side front its coming in - ?

Kind Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Thankyou for your reply. We have put strong waterproof tape around the sun roof and windscreen, and have tried using a car cover overnight. We are not sure where it is coming in as both the front and back passenger foot well are filled with an inch of water. We are pretty sure it is coming in the front and travelling backwards.

Thankyou

Amy
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello Amy - Thank you for your reply and info..

You could well be right - when the amount of water ingress is bad, it certainly will flow through in that way...

Now if your particular variant has the car radio aerial on the front of the car - on the roof.. there is a common / known issue there. Basically the seal at the base of the aerial can leak - either through the aerial being slightly loose or, it having been overtightened and distorting the seal - allowing water to come in. It then runs down inside and peculiarly makes its way down the passenger side - and ending up on the floor as you have. So - thats the first thing to check... I suggest check it for tightness first - and / or decide to remove it and renew the seal - you can buy new ones from Honda parts dept.. or, you could remove it ans seal it up well with silicone.

Now the other area of issue with this model is invariably under the bonnet in the plenum chamber - under the screen .. You need to check in there - water tends to collect because the drains get clogged - you will need to strip as necessary to deal with that -removing the wiper/ panels etc -

Also - you will often find that the water is coming through the cabin filter aperture - this is accessed up under the glove box area - but check in the plenum chamber first and deal with as you find.

Other than a hole developed through corrosion - which can happen.. and is extremely difficult to find as you have to virtually strip the car- you should find the cause to be one or the other as above... so that should see this sorted for you.

Drying the carpets is quite another issue - the under felt - actually foam.. a sound deadening material is very thick and will be sodden with water. The only real way to dry it out would be to remove the carpets and the foam - and deal with it / dry it out over a few days... Its quite a job - but worth doing once the source is dealt with.

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.