Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 58 plate 1.8 petrol on 34,000. Recently I have been

Customer Question

I have a 58 plate 1.8 petrol on 34,000. Recently I have been getting missfire one cylinder A along with primary/secondary coil circuit fault code. Changed plugs and swapped coil pack from A to C. Fault still stays on A with same codes. My Honda dealer have been rubbish so I am looking at the fault myself. When I took off the coil pack cover the car was running fine. When I rocked the 3 cables to coil pack A the car missed. I cleared codes and again the car ran sweetly. moved the cables as they bend going into the cable duct over the head and the car missed again. Reset codes. Now the car misses all of the time and I get the same codes as soon as it starts. I have resistance checked the 3 coil pack cables and they seem ok. They have the same values. I had hoped for a break in a wire. I have done the same through the plug and it seems ok. I can see the cable runs over the head and then into a box of some sort on the right end of the head. What is in this box? Any ideas. It only ever fault son cylinder 1. If I take the plug of cylinder 4 I get exactly the same error codes as cylinder 1 is giving. Has there ever been breaks in these coil pack cables?I guess each cylinder has an earth, signal (spark) and positive? I can't find any wiring diagrams for a 58 plate. Are there any cheats I could try. I was 100% sure after touching the cable and it missed that I had found the fault. It did this twice but I cant prove the cable now as resistance seems to match all 3.
Category: Honda