Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, I have a accord and i used the red key now it wont start What

Hi, I have a accord and i used the red key now it wont start
What can i do to rectify the problem
Category: Honda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

As there has been a break since you asked your question - please tell me if you do still need help with this first ... If so - what exactly have you tried so far?

Rgds, MIKE.............................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, This car i a customers and i have since found out that it is a 1996 Civic not an accord

He tells me that the car was running fine untill he used the red key one morning and the key light started flashing and the car would not start

I have had a look and if you put the other key in [the black one] the light flashes 2-3 times and goes out but will not start, Would useing the red key do this or could there be some other problem

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply / info -

Ok yes - what he has done in using the red key is he has instigated part programming of the immobilizer system - and not completed it.
Sometimes this will scramble it altogether - and it will need re programming with Honda or equivalent equipment ( mobile auto locksmiths usually can do it as well if needed )

What you can do / try now - is a re sync... sometimes this will work.. and so its worth a try - I will give you the procedure... as follows : ( note it says the same as I mentioned when the red key is used wrongly.... )

Here is the re sync procedure:

NOTE: The red master key is only used to program the other key. It cannot start the vehicle and may cause the other key to become inoperative if used.

System operation

• System arms 5 seconds after switching ignition OFF. Immobilizer warning lamp flashes during this time Fig.3.
  • Arms automatically when ignition key is removed.
  • Switch ignition ON.
  • Immobilizer warning lamp illuminates for 2-3 seconds.
  • If immobilizer warning lamp illuminates for 2-3 seconds then flashes rapidly:
      • Key code not recognised.
      • Remove key and try again.

Programming

When

• System malfunction.
  • Key added or replaced.
  • Red master key replaced / misused.

How

• Obtain red master key and all other keys.
  • Immobilizer can only be programmed using diagnostic equipment. << Note as above..

If that works - great... If not- then Im afraid it will have to be re set up / programmed as mentioned above. Let me know how you get on.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...>> >> > Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the Immobilizer on the fuel side ? becouse if i put fuel directly down the carb/inlet the car runs untill its out of fuel again

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again -

Im sorry I could not get straight back to you -

Without checking into the schematics of the system I dont know - but Im going off what you said had happened -- ie- the customer used the red key and now it wont start...

As the copied over instructions show you above - and as I said, using the red key will knock out the immobilizer - so thats what you have / how you have to proceed - if what you have told me is correct.

This is further corroborated by what you said -- "

He tells me that the car was running fine until he used the red key one morning and the key light started flashing and the car would not start.."

So you need to do / have done as I have outlined to sort this out.

>>>> Please do click on the "OK ratings" for me now please - Thank you.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.