Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2008 Honda crv when I start the engine there is no

I have a 2008 Honda crv when I start the engine there is no noise its a2.2 diesel but when I put it into first then dive off I get a bad knock also in second but the rest are ok I am using 0w 40 mobil 1 oil also new filter I use BP diesel.the noise is only in 1st and 2nd
Category: Honda
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise with this..

This doesn't sound like an issue with the engine at all - rather, an issue with the drive line somewhere..

Obviously noises per se can be difficult for us to diagnose on line for obvious reasons - but going off your outline / overview of the issue - thats what it sounds like - thats what would make sense...

For this to be happening as you outline, it could be a transmission ( or possibly an engine ) mounting- anything like that - mounting wise being loose / poor condition will cause that - so they need to be all checked...

As to would anything around the engine / transmission etc - that would be positioned too close to the engine / transmission or bodywork - so that under strain, as you say, 1st / 2nd - it causes such to touch - and cause a vibration. We see this sort of thing usually after work has been done on a vehicle - a service etc - and something not been put back quite right - and / or of course, something that has worn. This can be pipework, brackets and so on - all will cause that.

Now if its nothing like that as above, then its most likely to be an internal issue / fault with the clutch / trans mechanism / drive line from what you describe - this can be worn clutch to worn / faulty mechanical parts. Really if it comes to that , you could do with having a local garage have the vehicle on a garage ramp -and they can check it properly that way to find such a fault - whatever it turns out to be. It would also be wise to check / have checked, the various suspension components - these are known to wear and cause knocking noises on these.

Im sorry I cannot say it will be this / that - Im sure you can understand why as I said above - but those are the possibilities here and the way to work forward to trace this down / cure it for you... working through the most obvious forward..

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.