Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I own a 2002Honda Civic (1.6 vtec) which, after turning the

Customer Question

I own a 2002Honda Civic (1.6 vtec) which, after turning the engine off or stalling in traffic will not restart - the engine turns over very slowly as if the battery is flat, but if I leave it for ten minutes or so it turns over as if the battery is fully charged and starts without problem. Apart from being frustrating, it is also potentially dangerous. I hope you can help.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Shantal,

I have not yet found the answer to my problem, so would greatly appreciate any assistance you are able to give.

many thakns,

Keitk Amor

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise...

Can I just ask - what mileage is on the car?

How long has it been doing this ? and has it started doing this after any work of any sort was done on the car??

Kind Rgds, MIKE................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike,

In answer to your quetions, I can reply as follows:

1. The car has covered just over 100,000 miles and been regularly serviced.

2. It has been doing this for a couple of weeks and notbfollowing any work done on the car.

I hope this assists,

Regards,

Keith Amor

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello Keith - Thank you for your reply and info..

I do apologise for the delay, I had to be off with illness Im afraid..

Now - just further to this issue you have Keith , I need you to check something for me.. I need you to check the engine oil level... I know it may sound odd to you but there is a very good reason for this which I'll come back to -

I need you to be sure it / the car has been stood at least an hour cold.. then check the oil level... It needs to be dead on the level mark - or lower.. not any higher. Let me know what you find... but to explain a little, if the engine oil level is too high that affects the V tec system and will cause exactly as you describe with your faults.

If its too high - drain some off...or tale the opportunity to renew the engine oil and filter if its old at all... Again - if its too high even marginally, that will be the cause of your fault.. if not , we can carry on....

Once again, my sincere apologies for the delay in my reply -

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for your answer.

I did as you suggested and am pleased to advise the problem is resolved. Brilliant!

Many thanks indeed,

Regards,

Keith Amor