mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a Honda FRV Comfort 2.2l Diesel and the engine has begun

I have a Honda FRV Comfort 2.2l Diesel and the engine has begun to give off a high pitched whine which rises in pitch with increased revs. This is intermittent, no so noticeable in outside temperatures of over 20 degrees C. The whine is accompanied by a feint but noticeable vibration in the steering wheel. I want to get this fixed but need to be prepared for discussing this with the garage who have told me that it could be anything from having to installing a shorter belt by bi-passing one of the pulley wheels, or it could be something to do with the turbo which is extremely expensive to renew. As I live in Warsaw Poland and am planning to drive home for Xmas I need to get this fixed but want to avoid being conned. The car has approx 140,000km on the clock and is running well with no previous serious problems. I have had the car from new. I would be grateful for any advice you can give.
Category: Honda
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
I am also a warranty inspector and i have inspected this issue many times on these vehicles, the problem that you are having is the turbo shaft bearing is starting to fail which causes this issue.
To correct this problem the turbo has to be replaced, this is a common problem and happens without warning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your advice. Any idea what this costs in the UK? It should be cheaper here in Poland as labour rates are cheaper but your answer would provide me with a reasonable benchmark to negotiate against.

George

The labor runs about 3 hours and the turbo itself will cost around 551. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One final question Mike. Does the turbo fault account for the feint vibration in the steering wheel or could this be something else unconnected with the turbo?

No I believe the two issues are connected and the turbo replacement would cure this issue as well.