Robert
Robert, Honda Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

, I have a 92 prelude 2.3i 4ws. I went badley into a pot

Customer Question

, I have a 92 prelude 2.3i 4ws. I went badley into a pot hole and front steering got very bad. I have had it balenced and tracked with no sucess. My garage say it's a susspension / stering prob, but tey cant see any prob visually. so is there a way to check front wheel susspension and steering on a rolling road with some thing like a strobe? If not which is the most likley component to be damaged eg upper arm / lower arm, drive shaft or tie rod? I would have thought it would need to be a rotating component as the fault is a sigificant pull to the curb at a single point in a rotation (a wobble that is metronomic)
Any help is greatley appreciated.
James
Category: Honda
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..

Hopefully i can help..

I note you dont mention tyres/rim being ruled out and checked..if the problems within the tyre bands/rim then you'll never eliminate the fault even by doing alignment..try maybe swapping over that tyre you hit the pot hole with the spare or swap the back tyres to the front and see if the issues changes or not....A rolling road wouldnt really show up much...normally 4 wheel laser alignment is the way forward to highlight alignement issues comparing with manufacturer spec in regards ***** ***** in/out/camber..or proper visual/measurements comparing opposite side suspension control arms components..track rod end/inner tie rod damage..would alos be worth too inspecting the wheel bearing on that side too..but depends on the extent or how hard you hit the pothole..but if you havent already..maybe try the spare/swap the tyres round and see if the issue changes or stops..if so then you'll know the tyre rim is at fault..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hare rotated and balanced all 5 tires, only prob is front ns. but no improvement or change

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..there..

Well in that case then the problems down to suspension,steering damage or possible outer cv joint damage..obviously i cant see that car nor know what your garages expertise is like in checking those things and comparing with the oppose side that didnt suffer damage..but as far as alignment goes they need to check the manufacturer specs and align according to those..but givin what you said..id be more inclined to be checking joint damage/bearing on that side to be honest..if all else isnt sporting excess movement or showing signs of damage/out of alignment as far as balljoints goes...I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

, Can I reiterate the symptoms.

1. each revolution of the ns wheel has an obvious pull to the near side.

2. the repetion of this is fixed. I jacked the whole front end up and ran the engine. I called out to a friend every time the pull happened and he marked in chalk at the tdc of the tyre. I drove it 3 miles and then repeated the operation with the same result. All chalk marks were v close together. At idle speed the tyre rotation was quite slow and the pull was very easy to predict.

3 I can't see it being bearings as by definition they rotate and will move independant of the wheel hub. Not to mention I have heard a damaged bearing and it sounds half way between a cat being nutered and rod stewart singing.

4. It has got be a suspension / drive problem because of the above periodic movement.

5. all I want to know which is the most likley damaged component:

a. upper suspension arm

b. lower suspension arm

(prelude has double wishbones)

c. track rod

or

d. drive shaft.

Best regards,

James

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

..thanks reply..

Im taking in all that your saying..if you want a most likely component that would take the brunt of that hit..then the lower control arm would be the number one/followed by the track rod end....