Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I've just had a stainless steel exhaust fitted to my 2001 Honda

I've just had a stainless steel exhaust fitted to my 2001 Honda Accord Type-R and since getting the car back. The car seems to rev out early and won't hit as high revs as previously .
Category: Honda
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..
Can I just ask - was the cat converter changed as well ?
What company did this for you?
Rgds, MIKE......................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cat converter has been left alone but the midbox has now been removed, so there is only a straight through pipe to the back of the car. It was done by a company called longlife based in Thornbury, Bristol. It seems to have lost all the VTEC power. You can't even hear or feel the difference anymore

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Matt -
Sorry I wasn't on when you replied -
Ok - what I would suggest to check / have checked is the condition of the cat.. I don't know if you know / what you know of course - but the car is a very fragile piece of equipment - Removing an exhaust can entail a lot of hammering / banging etc - and such has been known to damage a cat - causing it break / break up.. and cause it to block the flow of gases through - Not necessarily fully - or else it wouldn't run - but in part - meaning it will seriously affect power output.
Given this has happened straight after the fitting of the exhaust , it has to be checked... Other than that - I would suggest checking the size of the exhaust fitted ( bore )- if its smaller - its pipes smaller than what was OE.. then that will cause this issue too.
Other than that - then its a coincidence as to the lack of power -and then the engine management system will need to be checked through properly...starting with checking air flow ( air filter - pipework / air mass meter ).. and fuel supply - ( fuel filter etc )...and on from there to find the cause of your fault--Starting as above with the basics...
So thats the way to work through this one Matt -
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Matt-
This is MIKE that answered you as above.
Im just checking back with you as you hadn't got back to me etc -to see if you need anything more on this at all ..Im more than happy to help further as and if needed Matt ..or, if we are done, I do just need you to click on the OK ratings for me at this point..
You are very welcome back anytime with anything else then or again, if you need anything more on the above.
Best Rgds Matt.. MIKE.