Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My son has just changed his engine oil and filter on his Honda

My son has just changed his engine oil and filter on his Honda crv (2000 petrol model). Now he has a very loud clicking noise which was not there before. Sounds louder than tappets. Seems loads of people have similar faults when I check on line.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is MIKE..
On the HONDA - it is imperative that the correct type - and grade of oil is used - else you will get these issues as the valve system cannot work correctly.
So the first thing to do is check on that with the supplier - If you give me FULL details of the car -or its full reg, I can tell you which oil is needed.
If he is using the correct oil, then its likely its just not circulated fully yet - Its important not to rev the engine to get it to silence... let it run ticking over until it clears - goes quiet.
Ensure though that the oil light is not on while its running.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~>>~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info. The reg. no. is W72 SLE so what oil is that?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -
Thank you for your reply -
For that vehicle - the correct oil is - 5w/30 ( any make - so long as its the right grade )
You CAN use a 10/ 40... but its best to use the 5/30.
Other oils definitely cause the issues you describe as its too thick.
If he has used the wrong oil he will need to drain it Im afraid - change the filter too again - and use the correct oil.
-- Let me know if you need anything else.
Please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point - Thank you kindly.
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** was badly adjusted tappets which only came to light after my son put in the correct oil. The original oil in the engine was much thicker which was masking the large tappet gap.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -
Thank you for your reply and info.
Im very glad to have helped - and glad you got it sorted out.
per the way justanswer works, I do just need you to now to click on the OK ratings for me at this point - Thank you -
You are welcome back anytime.
Kind Rgds., MIKE.
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience: Tech Expert