Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Have two problems on a Honda HRV which has the 1.6i

Customer Question

Hello; have two problems on a Honda HRV which has the 1.6i vtec engine maybe related may not, speedo can bounce around or not work and there are power problems [engine spluttering normally under load] in the 2000 to 3000 power band especially apparent in 3 , 4, 5 gear. Any ideas please?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello; still need some help with this, can wait until Friday 28th Aug as this is not pressing but do need to get sorted for the weekend.

Thank you;

***** *****

Hello Steve,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialities differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve, my name is***** am a diagnostic technician. Sorry for the delay in getting to your question!I suspect based on the symptoms you have that these are two separate problemsThe speedometer issue is a fairly common one, this is caused by the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) It is a sensor driven by the gearbox that provides a signal to the speedometer, These sensors are mechanical and do tend to wear out, they are around £30 or from memory £80 For a genuine Honda part however the after market parts are usually OEM quality and just as good. (many are even the same make) It is a simple job to change, it can be done by any DIYer if you are comfortable with basic mechanics, or expect to pay 15 mins labor in a garage.As for the spluttering under load... This could be one of many possible causes however some are more common than others. It sounds like a classic case of misfiring under load which is usually caused by the ignition system. The V-tec engine has individual coil packs, it's not uncommon for these to begin to break down but this usually goes hand in hand with the engine management light, so before worrying about that... the spark plugs need to be checked. These are fairly lean burn engines and even if the plugs are slightly worn it can cause these problems so if you have any doubt about when they are last changed, change these first, they are around £20 for a set of 4, also ensure they are NGK Plugs, Genuine honda will also be NGK.