Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 1998 Honda crv the last few weeks it has just been

Customer Question

i have a 1998 Honda crv the last few weeks it has just been cutting out when i drive i can restart it but i can be any where when it happens, i have an auto its like it stall but i know auto don,t do that any ideas.
list of things done so far
new oil change
new fuel filter
new air filter
plugs clean and distances on them checked
Category: Honda
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise.
Can I just ask - when this happens...does it chug to a halt - or is it as if it switches off?
Too - did this start to happen after the oil change - or was it happening before?
Rgds, MIKE..................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was happening before the oil change its as if it switches off but all the lights are onregards Denise
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, Thank you for your reply-Ok - autos can and do stall -but this was usually with the older models - non injection... problems with the tickover settings being too low... so you could check on that ... just in case. Injected models can do this - your tickover should be around the 850-950 mark on the rev guage. If its not, then the system needs checking as to why - as again, when you come to lights etc - that would cause a stall.Now - if its not like that as above, ie - I note you say it can stall at any time.. this would definitly indicate a likely fault with what is called the Crank sensor.. very common on this model. If this is continually happening... the only answer is replacement of the sensor. Any local garage can do that for you.I feel actually the sensor as above is going to be your fault - but just bare the above in mind also - just in case that applies.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
didn't know there was a crank sensor that is the next thing we'll try if that doesn't work how many times can you reply to me thankyou