Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

1998 Honda cvr automatic 2 litre es.when cold it drives 100%

Customer Question

1998 Honda cvr automatic 2 litre es.when cold it drives 100% through the gears.when warm looses all gears until cold then drives fine again through the gears.changed transmission fluid as advised by Honda mechanic but made no difference.please can you help.thank you
Category: Honda
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Check the fluid level a low fluid level can do this because the fluid in the trans at cold is high and trans will work but once warm level drops and then you lose pressure in the system. but as said your's is new and at correct level. Check for any related transmission malfunction codes ,was the old trans fluid bad that you replaced , if it was sign of a warn out trans that needs replacing or rebuilding .So other possibility's are internal seals ,when trans gets hot pressure is lost ,this means a trans out and O/H ... If you are lucky you may just have a sensor problem speed input output sensor ? but seen this so many times trans needed rebuilding . Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your reply.so in your opinion would you recommend a new gearbox?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
What color was the old fluid that you replaced, or did you not get to see this . Greg
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
And before you do anything did you check for malfunction codes . Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DID NOT SEE FLUID AND DID NOT CHECK MALFUNCTION CODECAN THIS BE PLUGED IN TO CHECK FOR FAULTS BEING A 1998 THANK YOU
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Yes all vehicles after 1996 are set up with OBD II system 16 Pin DLC . Rgds Greg