Robert
Robert, Honda Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2011 Honda accord dsi dtec. The "dpf regeneration

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Honda accord dsi dtec. The "dpf regeneration required" lights coming on a lot recently. Is this due to damage/wear and tear or is it due to change in journey times and speeds.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Its means the cars ecu is requiring to regenerate the DPF..dues the filter or soot content is reaching a certain level thats it requires to regenerate this is all done by dpf diffirential pressure sensor which monitors boths ends of the DPF..to send back info when the dpf is reaching to the point of blocking up or restricted..and the cars should do this regenration by itself under certain driving conditions..ie: long motorway journeys is when its best and able to complete the cycle..rather then short journeys where the DPF doesnt reach its desired temp and fails regeneration and this can cause oil dilution issues as when regeneration is active the ecu compensates by increasing fueling or by a 5th injector...I note you say they flushed the DPF out..well have they done a forced regeneration afterwhich.or measure using there diagnostic machine the saturation levels showing..have the checked the small bore pipes for blockages or damage to the DPF sensor..other than that....But as with all diesels with DPF'S they dont like short journeys you have to at least on monthly bases take the car on a long 20-30mile run to help limit any DPF problems..