Robert
Robert, Honda Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I was driving my Honda Pilot, the weather was hot and sunny,

Customer Question

I was driving my Honda Pilot, the weather was hot and sunny, and suddenly I noticed what looked like steam coming from out from under the bonnet. I stopped the car. The steam stopped but there was a sort of but not exactly hissing sound for some time. When I started the car again, everything seemed to be ok, I watched the temperature gage - it was ok. The air conditioning however didn't seem to be working very well. I was planning to go on a long journey today, can I wait until I get back to have it seen to?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Have you inspected the coolant level to see if there is any change or its dropped a little?

Was the Air Con problem something that just started during this event or been a problem before hand?

Did this happen whilst stationary or just driving normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know at what level the coolant was before - at present it is the level of the line.The Air Con was working fine just before the event. After the air was blowing but not very cool.I had been driving slowly (through a narrow lane between parked cars, and had just got out onto the proper road when I noticed the steam coming out from under the bonnet.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

yeah it should be just a little over the half way mark on the tank...normally if steam is seen coming from the engine bay could be a sign that the engine maybe overheating or coolant flow issue, bad thermostat or failing water pump or even the cap being faulty and this causes the coolant to boil and escape as steam..so you may want to have that checked and maybe before you do your journey as a good garage locally to do a pressure test on the system to ensure the coolant system doesnt actually have a leak as such...They may also want to check the main fans on the radiator/a,c radiator if those arent kicking in then that could be your problem along with the A/C so again those things need to be inspected....other checks id say is the air conditioning belt.....but as above doing long journeys with a possible coolant system fault isnt wise,i wouldnt really advise it in all honesty....its best to have it checked out before hand than rather risk being stranded and further expense if the engine blows a headgasket if the problem progresses any further to excess coolant loss/overheating..the steps above doing those checks and the pressure test should only take a garage with the correct equipment a max time of an hour and see if anything found after which....