Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My engine got low on oil and the big ends are knocking and i

Customer Question

My engine got low on oil and the big ends are knocking and i don't want to scrap it ,what do I need to do apart from getting it clean and replacing the oil pump and bearings .
Category: Honda
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

hello

if the crank shaft is badly scored then you will have to remove it to regrind it to make a proper repair

if there's just a bit of polishing to the crank then yes you will get away with just fitting new shells, a new pump and replace the oil filter

however the danger with this approach is if there's a lot of metal in the oil then the engine should be fully stripped, cleaned out and rebuilt and things like valve lash adjusters and piston squirt jets should be replaced as its likely they will be blocked up with debris

it all depends on how bad the damage is inside and how much swarf / metal shavings have been generated