Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Honda civic is in limp mode if i drive it will it wreck

Customer Question

My Honda civic is in limp mode if i drive it will it wreck it even more
Category: Honda
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

hello

unless you have really low oil pressure or no coolant in the car, then usually you can drive the car when its in limp home just fine

bear in mind its meant to just get you home and not travel from one of the country to the other like this

ideally your next step is plug in a scan tool and read off the stored code so you can make more of a judgement as to what to do next

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I changed spark plugs an it says cyclinder4. Wasnt working so got new 1 still not working right it sounds like a subra
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
An now states all cyclinders are mis firing
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

hello

OK if you have a misfire code (P0304 and P0300) then yes the 1st thing to try is a new spark plug as you've tried and as its now saying all are misfiring I'd say could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok i will try this tomorrow n get back to u
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If its not the fuel pump could it be the injectors?
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

yes thats possible if you also check the state of the injector wiring for shorts and corroded connections

and you can use a 'noid' light to check the injector is being activated

http://www.noidlight.com/

you could also try disconnecting the injectors 1 at a time to confirm which cylinder is misfiring and then move parts from cylinder to cylinder to confirm what is causing the fault as the fault will travel with the part

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ended up brain died still in garage
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Ok

in that case I'd send the ECU off to one of these firms

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/