Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

my horse has a lump by her belly button.what could that be

Customer Question

my horse has a lump by her belly button.what could that be?
Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Did this lump just show up or has she had this all along?

Is it painful?

Is it right where the umbilicus is located?

Are there a lot of flies where you are?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi there,i have only just seen it has iv only just bought her.she doesnt seem to be that bothered by it when i touch it,today iv held it in the parm of my hand,not to sure if it is getting bigger.i can move it and almost get my fingers under it..yes there are a few flys in the the field,having to spay her every day to try to keep them away..do you think it could be a bite then..there are no flys around the lump and theres no bite mark.

Thank you for that information...

Most likely thsi was a small hernia whem she was stioll very young. The hernias close up but leave a bit of fatty tissue at this point that appears as this lump. Often, flys will be atracted to thsi area and can cause an abscess or infection but I really do not think that this is the case.

In any event, this is probably not something to worry about. If there are a lot of flies, use fly spray well and put some near this area of the lump just to prevent an abscess from forming.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta