Zoe-cssm
Zoe-cssm,
53774437

My 17 year old horse is being treated for lameness, he has

Customer Question

My 17 year old horse is being treated for lameness, he has been diagnosed as having strained a left fore collaterol ligament, is currently having shock treatment every 2 weeks, adequan injections every 4 days, a tendon supplement. His current regime is box rest but he is put in a small paddock twice a day for 1-2 hours to graze. He also has very early stages Cushings and is on one pill a day for this. He is from time to time having to have sedalin to keep him quiet but not today. He keeps breaking out in patchy sweating on his neck, no where else at all. He has a simple rug on with no sweat under it. He does not look well, dull eye, very unhappy, biting and grumpy. No temperature, just under 38 this evening. His tummy is quite large. Any ideas?
Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi,I'm Dr Steve. I received a message from a moderator to look at your question. I am sorry that no one has helped you yet. IS he still having the same problems or has his symptoms changed? I will be online throughout the night and will check frequently to see your reply. If you don't moind, tell me what he is acting like tonight please. I look forward to seeing your reply.
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.
I see you are still offline. Perhaps your horse is not having trouble anymore or maybe yo have talked to a local vet, but I am going to give you my thoughts on his condition in the original question. I see he has some other issues like lameness, cushings,. etc, but from your description of his current condition, I am concerned that he may be colicky. His atypical sweating, dull appearance, grumpy and biting at himself, along with his distended abdomen are all consistent with a stomach ache and colic. This can be a dangerous situation if he would happen to have a twist or severe impaction. I sincerely apologize that someone hasn't gotten back to you and I don't mean to alarm you. Hopefully he is already better and you may not need to do anything else, but if he is still having the same problems, you should have him examined as soon as possible. Colic can be caused by gas in the intestines which often gets better on it own. It can also be caused by an impaction of hay or grass that can plug the intestines. This often requires pain medicine and in some cases I use mineral oil to help lubricate the intestines so the plug can be moved through the intestinal tract. The worse scenario is if he has a twisted intestine which will require surgery. Your vet can determine if surgery is necessary. I hope this has helped. I will check tomorrow to see if you have more questions. Thanks for your question and good luck.
Expert:  Zoe-cssm replied 3 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/horse-health/84y5s-17-year-old-horse-treated-lameness.html

The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.