Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

mare is in training 18months and has to have a break twice

Customer Question

mare is in training 18months and has to have a break twice in that time as she gets very stiff when almost fit to race
Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when shes taken out of stable in the morning she seems slightly lame but after 5 min it disappears and is very stiff in her hindquarters then we put her on the waker and she seems to walk it off, you might get 3or4 days when shes ok and then were back again where we started. Dan

Hello Dan,

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Dan and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry it has taken so long to get back to you....

My fear for your mare is that she is suffering from a Rhabdomyolisis due to increased Lactic Acid in the muscles of the rear legs....Tying UP Syndrome. LINK

This can happen even in fit horses that are not supplemented with electrolytes. The next step is to have blood work done on your mare, Dan, after being exercised to see how much muscle damage is being done. This could be due to a hereditary issue and often electrolyte supplementation will solve this for your mare. There are some that cannot metabolize well enough making them not good for a performance horse. I was involved with long distance endurnace races and saw this often. With our horses, we would give electrolytes every 10-15 miles to prevent this situation...your mare may require this, Dan.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating horses.

Thank you so much, Dan, for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!