Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I forgot to take an elastic bandage off my horses tail when

Customer Question

I forgot to take an elastic bandage off my horses tail when I got back from a show now I have made it blister underneath and at the sides, it is bleeding and there is also a wound, I have cleaned it and put on ozvet wound cream which is like a paste. Also the hair is falling out do I need a vet to come out as I was told there is nothing I can do except keep it clean as the hair will eventually all fall out and the dock will repair itself.
thank you
Carole
Category: Horse
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your pony's condition but don't feel bad because this is a common problem with show ponies. You have done the correct thing by keeping this area clean and covering it with an antibiotic creme. The hair will continue to fall out where the skin has been damaged but this will come back. There is no reason to call your vet unless it appears to be getting infected with pus ozzing and if your pony starts not wanting to eat and is running a fever.

In most cases such as this, it will heal well with good supportive care as you have been doing.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

HI Carole...does this make sense to you? How is your pony's tail looking now?