Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

With the following symptoms, what would your first action be

Customer Question

With the following symptoms, what would your first action be in treating or diagnosing my horse. Lethargic as if sedated, mouth/lips moving/twitching, unable to drink without dropping the water, walking in small circle slowly, completely withdrawn/unresponsive, staggering (almost falling over)Stats normal. No sign of injury.
Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

All of these symptoms are neurologic in nature so I would worry about an Encephalitis, Liver disease, brain trauma or brain tumor. Your first step is to run a blood panel to rule out metabolic disease or infectious process. After that, a spinal tap and MRI would be the next step. This can only be performed in an equine facility. This appears to be very serious for Slinky so it is important to follow through with testing. Be sure to isolate Slinky until you know what is causing this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta