Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of experience in private practice, including equine medicine and surgery
31531426

why has my 24 year old horse eating horse poo

Customer Question

Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still waiting for answer

Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Dr Steve. I am sorry it has taken so long for someone to get back to you. As horses age, they can develop some unusual problems and behaviors. In her case, and from your description of her condition, I would be concerned that she may not be getting adequate nutrition and she may be trying to meet her nutritional needs by eating stools. Of course there is nothing nutritious in horse stools, but in her mind and in an attempt to meet her needs she may be eating them in the search for what she is missing. With that said, I am not insinuating that you are not feeding her, but with age, horses can develop internal organ failures like liver, pancras and kidney. When this occurs a horse can continue to eat her normal diet and the organs responsibility for digesting the feed may not be working properly and she may not be getting the nutrition from the feed. One approach would be to feed her a "senior " diet that may be supplying more nutrition that what she is eating now. If this is hte case she should stop this behavior in 7-10 days. Another moore medically appropriate approach would be to have your vet examine her and collect a blood sample to check the internal organs to see how they are working. I hope this has helped. This question will remain accessible even after you have rated my answer in case you have more questions. THanks for your question and good luck .