Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of experience in private practice, including equine medicine and surgery
31531426

Help! My horse has breathing problems and its got a lot of

Customer Question

Help! My horse has breathing problems and it's got a lot of hills where we are. I have had the vet out twice he has been on ventropulmin but not on it now he is in slow work but still gets a cream coloured discharge from one nostril which we sometimes find a little in his stable in a morning he is not distressed when we ride when he was really bad and his eyes out on stalks I got off him and called the vet but still coughing when eating ( on happy hoof and speedi beet and cubes I wet) Temp ok, and no heave line at rest, but struggles up the hills at walk and we then get a discharge

He is on dust extracted shavings as is his neighbour, both are on haylage fed from a hay bar, he is in a Dutch barn with no door at his end, my vet described it as a wind tunnel. Many years ago we would have given him a Friars Balsam inhalation to sooth his airways is that still appropriate as tried to give medicine via a peadriatic spacer just a no go but he is ok about Inhalations we have been there before, I am 63 yrs old well used to handling horses he is 16.3hh 650kgs Arab/Irish Draught so we could do the inhalations what do you think?
Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Dr Steve. I am sorry that it has taken so loing for someone to help you. I would like to give you some ideas based on what I have seen in cases similar to yours.From your description I am suspicious abot an upper respiratory infection. The presence of a cream colored discharge from the nostril after exertion can be consistent with this problem. Upper Respiratory Infections (URI) often do not cause fevers , but can certainly cause difficulty breathng and coughing and nasal discharge. The goal in URIs is to address the bacteria that ususally cause the infection by giving antibiotics and also giving antiinflammatory medicines to help reduce inflammation in the lungs. I have had good results using an antibiotic called Excede ( i hpe that is available in the UK) . This is an injection that lasts for 4 days. I typically do this twice to give a total of 8 days protection. I also give Banamine to help reduce inflammation. I give this for 3 days in a row. I don't do many inhalations, but if he hsa tolerated them before and not had any problems, I can't imagine there would be a problem with doing it again. I don't know if it will help so I would discuss using these meds with your vet. The ventipulmin that he used to be on can help with inflammation in the lungs but won't help for any type of infection. I hope this has helped. THis question will remain accessibkle even after you have rated my answer in case you have more questions. THanks for your question and good luck.