Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

Can a nerve block go wrong and cause a problem, my horse moved

Customer Question

Can a nerve block go wrong and cause a problem, my horse moved her leg very suddenly the needle bend to a 90 degree angle the nerve block was then repeated, the vet then said he would scan that area in 24 hours as that's were he believed the problem was, she had abnormal swelling to the suspensory ligament just under the hock were the needle went in and bent and now has heat and swelling there, that wasn't there before, could he have damaged the ligament ?
Category: Horse
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is unlikely that this needle that bent damaged the suspensory ligament. It is not uncommon for a horse to move suddenly during this process and the needle can be bent and cause some minor scar tissue due to this. It is odd that there is swelling in this area but if it is from this very tiny needle, it will be minor. There also may have been a trailer injury when moving Ione to the facility that you were not aware of and this swelling came up after the nerve block.

Personally, I have never seen any problems such as you describe after a nerve block even when the horse moves suddenly. Hopefully, this will only be a minor problem that can resolve on its own.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta