Horses
Horses, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with hacks, draft and racehorses alike.
76153631

I have a 10 year old Chestnut TB which I've had

Hi I have a 10 year old Chestnut TB which I've had for about 3 years and she has some small scabby spots on her bottom mostly on one side with only a few on the other side and odd ones on her sides, they feel like little lumps and when you rub at her they come off like scabs with her hair which leaves her bald, she had a few this time last year but not as many and her hair grew back in her summer coat, do you have any ideas as to what it could be or what to do please
Kate
Category: Horse
Expert:  Horses replied 2 years ago.
Horses : Hi there, vet Andrew here. I deal with horse questions regularly on this site, but was not notified of your post and have just seen it. Are you still looking for an answer?
Customer:

Hi yes please

Customer:

Kate

Horses : Hi Kate, I'm sorry you haven't been dealt with sooner.
Horses : What you are describing is classic rainscald, caused by an organism called Dematophilus congolensis. It is found everywhere, so curing the immediate problem is only part of the solution. It thrives in moist conditions, so is often found under rugs in damp weather. Also, if the horse tends to stand out in the rain, you often find a pattern of rainscald that matches the way the rain runs off the coat.Prevention should focus on keeping the coat dry - make sure her stabling/shelter is waterproof and well ventilated, and the bedding is dry and regularly tended. Try not to rug her straight after exercise or when she's wet.Treatment is fairly easy - use Malaseb shampoo on the affected areas 2-3 times a week - shampoo, leave for 10 mintues then rinse. Gently pull away and discard any scabs that will easily come away.
Horses : Please let me know if you have any further queries.
Horses : Regards, ***** *****
Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** think of rain scald but wasn't sure. Ok I'll give the shampoo a try.

Customer:

Thank you Kate