Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

We have had a new horse 4 weeks now . a gelding

Customer Question

Hello, we have had a new horse for about 4 weeks now . a gelding . when he came we could do anything with him and he was generally good, we did his teethe which were really bad, had a new saddle fitted, his back treated. last week when my daughter was going out for a ride, he arched his back and reared and she fell off. the day before he hadn't put a elfoot wrong the entire ride. In the same filed we have a 15 yr old mare ( who is injured and has to have 6 month rest) , which we kept them separated until last weekend when they trashed the fence with high winds. we have been told today that the gelding could be love sick when he taken away from the mare as he was previously kept in a stable on his own. could this be the case and what can we do to rectify this. Many Thanks
Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have found out that the gelding is very love sick to our mate so we are separating them to see what happens.
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies for you not receiving an answer yet.
Please let me know if you still require assistance and I will continue the search.
However should you require your question closed please let me know and I can do that for you.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question...

It is not unusual for horses to have a hard time acclimating to a new environment. It is good that you have Orpen in the same pasture with this other mare and they will have issues until their territories are established. This odd behavior with your daighter is most likley due to this issue and once he becomes acclimated to the new environmen, Orpen will be the same great horse he was when you brought him to your home.

Give him time and a lot of attention and keep him busy which will keep his mind off of being "lonely"....he will acclimate within 2-4 weeks.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****