Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My 26 year old horse is losing its summer coat in big patches.

Customer Question

My 26 year old horse is losing its summer coat in big patches. What could be the cause?
Category: Horse
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are many causes of hair loss especially in older horses. If there is itching, this could be due to allergies or lice or other parasites. If this is not itchy, this could be due to ringworm or a metabolic condition. It is best to have your vet run a full panel on Blueberry to determine if there may be a metabolic issue that could cause this such as a thyroid condition or Cushings disease. I urge you since Blueberry is older, to do this first after your vet has examined his skin and has ruled out biting gnats and lice.

This can be a normal shedding process since sometimes, the shedding of a winter coat can be in patches which is normal.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****