Dr. Sandy
Dr. Sandy,
20956040

If an injured horse is bandaged by your vet, you are advised

Customer Question

If an injured horse is bandaged by your vet, you are advised to leave it fo 4 days until the vet returns to change the dressing, and the bandage slips causing the horse a lot more damage and vets bills, how does the owner stand
Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Sandy replied 2 years ago.
It appears you question is incomplete. Are you asking if you should replace the bandage? I would advise you to keep the horse still as possible. Keep him in a stall, do not allow him out. That is your best bet to help keep the bandage in place. Even the best bandages can slip or even come off. You could call the vet to see if you can simply get more bandaging materials and replace it yourself to save a few bucks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The horse concerned had keyhole surgery in the fetlock joint, was sent home and in recovery. The Vet came out and changed the dressings and then instructed the owner to leave the dressings on until the vet himself came out to change them. The dressings were left on for 5 days which in my opinion is far too long, the dressings had slipped (no surprise there) and caused huge damage to the horses lower leg, the consequent treatment has run up into thousands of pounds, which also in my opinion the vet is liable for and not the owner, please would you clarify this for me.