DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

I am writing to you on behalf of a friend in Portugal.

Customer Question

Hello. I am writing to you on behalf of a friend in Portugal. Lusitania is a ten year old grey mare, part English thoroughbred and part Lusitanian. About three months ago, Lusitania developed a 'growth' on her right shoulder. At first her young owner, who is a student an an equestrian college in Portugal, thought it was a wart (thanks Google) but the school vet said it was a cyst and advised not to remove it while it is only on the skin. It is 4 – 5 mm wide and just on the skin. The skin is not attached to the muscle at that point. It is difficult to dry her without scratching it.
I have two photographs of the cyst and would be grateful for your opinion.
Category: Horse
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thank you for the question. If you could respond and attach the photos that would be great. I have been an equine vet for 8 years and have seen all sorts of skin lesions. I'd be happy to give you my opinion. Thanks so much. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Mel J, As requested, I attach the two photos I have of Lusitania's cyst (sorry, poor quality but it was dark and raining !), one with her young owner, Natacha, holding it to give an idea of size. Also, two further photos of Lusitania herself. Thank you.
Sally.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photos. Based on those photos, the lesion certainly looks like a sarcoid to me. Sarcoids are benign lesions, often associated with the papilloma virus (which causes warts). They are very common and besides being unsightly and in the way they do not cause a problem. However, the one in these photos looks fairly small and easy to remove....so if it is causing a problem I would say just get it surgically removed. It should be fairly easy to get wide margins. It can then be submitted for histopathology as well to tel for sure what it is. Other treatments for sarcoids include Zylexis injections to try to stimulate the immune system to destroy the lesion, Xterra ointment,and of course benign neglect. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Mel J. I will forward your opinion to Natacha in Portugal. Most helpful....many thanks. Sally
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Dr MelJ, I am waiting for a reply from Portugal - Lusitania's owner, Natacha, is a 2nd year student at an equestrian college there. She is going to show your diagnosis to the Hippology Professor. There doesn't seem to be a resident vet there which surprises me ! Will let you know answer when it comes. Kind regards. Sally.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I hope things go well for your friend and her horse. Take care.