Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

4yr thoroughbread gelding, cantering on sand suddenly pulled

Customer Question

4yr thoroughbread gelding, cantering on sand suddenly pulled up. Right hind completed coiled under his body and unable to bear any weight at all. this happened 28/2/ 2016. the vet was called, diagnosed muscle strain. Today Thursday 3/3/2016 the horse will bunny hope on three legs will absolutely not put weight on his foot. In his stable he will place the toe on the ground for 2 seconds and then continue to lift it like a spring up and down. His other leg is taken the complete weight onto it, as a result is swelling. i had the farrier check for sensitivity in the foot (concerned there was a fracture) I extended the leg forward in the direction of his front limb no problems did the same in the opposite direction no obvious discomfort. His temp is normal, he is currently on 1 bute am and pm as per vet. He is too unstable to travel to a VETERINARY hospital. Im concerned there is a possible fracture somwhere along his pelvis, however there is no swelling anywhere along his leg. His right Hamstring at the point of the ischiatic tuber is swollen and heat is present.
Category: Horse
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry but due to my location, I am unable to make phone calls but would like to help. It appears, from what you describe, that your gelding has a medial displacement of the patella or kneecap. I say this because once the kneecap dislocates form its position, he is unable to move or place the foot on the ground. This can come on suddenly because some horses are predisposed to this condition and something that happened caused this to dislocate. I know it is difficult to take your guy to a vet hospital but there are vets that can replace the kneecap into its place. ASk your vet about this...xrays of the knee can be done in the field to determine if this is the case or experienced equine vets can palpate this area to know for sure if this is the case and be able to reposition the knee to its place. This LINK can explain in more detail. There are other conditions that can cause these symptoms but ruling this out is important. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Loretta for responding to my question, can you explain why his semitendinosus is slightly swollen at the point of the ischiatic tuber and very warm to touch, also i have extended the hind leg towards his front leg and also stretched it out back, if he had medial patella dislocation would he be able to perform these movements as he does not react negatively
It appears that the semitendinosis may have been strained at some point causing this swelling and warmth. I am not sure if this was before or after the initial injury. If there is a medial luxation of the patella, your guy would not be able to bend his knee...it gets stuck in a position without being able to move until the kneecap is replaced into the correct position. If you can move his leg, Caroline, and bend it , this may not be the correct diagnosis. From your description at the beginning, this is what it sounded like and without actually being able to examine your guy, it is hard for me to know. This will require an exam by your vet to know for sure.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr Loretta
Thankyou again for your response, however i did state in my original question the horse had movement as i was able to extend the leg forward and backward with no ibvious pain reactions. He is a grade 5 in lameness. Leaving aside medial patella dislocation, what else would cause the hind leg to coil upward under his body, place only the tip of the toe on the ground, reluctancy to place weight on his foot, and when forced to walk a few steos will only bunny hop. Could there be a fracture somewhere in the pelvis, the heat in the semitendinosus was there from the beginning thats why the vet gave us a muscle rub to apply.
A sudden rupture of the superficial or deep flexor tendon could cause this sudden lameness but this is tough to determine. A fracture is possible but this seems more like a tendon injury since the patella appears to be working well. Your vet will have to Ultrasound the tendons to know for sure.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Dr Loretta
My vet called this morning, he double checked for any fracture, he said the horse tore the semitendinoais as he could feel the tear when he was palpating rectally. You make a lot of sense regarding the tendons something I will check myself. Thank you for your help I really appreciate your responses
THat is good to know....at least it is something that can heal in time. Have a great day!!
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating horses.
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your guy feels better soon! Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr Loretta
I hadca secknd opinion becausecmybhorse was not improving , it transpires he has a fracture in the shaft of ilium. Recommended 3 months box restThanks again for your help
Caroline
Oh my! I am so happy that you did get your guy examined, Caroline. No one would have known that he had a fracture without that exam. Good for you! Now you know what to do to help your guy.