Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

I lost a mare about two months ago and since then my other

Customer Question

I lost a mare about two months ago and since then my other mare is not right. At first I put it down to shock and depression. She has 24 hour hay and normally a greedy horse is not tucking in. She loosin weight and her coat came out in handfuls. Very warm with rug on. Dull appearance. Very lethargic.i have wormed her and had teeth done. She had a blood test and white cells were slightly out so had antibiotics. But for a very moody full of herself mare she very down. She loved to be brushed firm but is now sensitive to touch. My vet was not good. Did not even do heart or temperature. Any ideas. .
Category: Horse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will I get answer? A's it won t let me use my email address. I will have to cancel payment as not got another email
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning, and thanks for the question; my apologies in the length of time that it took for you to get a response. I just logged on for the day and saw your post concerning Moet. I’m hoping that I am not too late in connecting with you.Very sorry to hear about the loss of your other mare a few months ago. I, too, would be concerned if Moet isn’t acting normally. Thanks for the initial information you have supplied, but I would like to ask you a few more questions so we might get a better idea as to what is happening with Moet. Also, sorry to hear about the unsatisfactory experience with the Vet that saw Moet.1): Did you notice any change after she had the antibiotics prescribed by the Vet that saw Moet?2): How is she doing presently? Any change in what you initially described?3): Are you able to take her temperature? If you can safely do so, it would help if you could let me know.4): Has Moet had any other previous medical problems? If so, please describe.5): Do you know if the Vet did more than just a CBC (just looks at the blood cells), such as a Serum Chemistry (assesses organ function and health, also looks at various proteins, glucose, etc.) or Fibrinogen (an excellent indicator of infection or inflammation in the horse)?6): Any diarrhea, coughing, nasal discharge, etc.?7): When was Moet last vaccinated, and do you know what she was vaccinated for (4-Way, West Nile, Rhino/Flu, Strangles, Potomac Horse Fever, etc.)?8): Where do you live, and how is the weather/climate?8): Is Moet in with any other horses, and is her regular housing in open pasture, stall with paddock, etc.?Thanks for your time, and again, my apologies for your wait.Looking forward to hearing from you,-Dan C., DVM.