Horses
Horses, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with hacks, draft and racehorses alike.
76153631

My horse has lost hair from her face, neck and shoulders in

Customer Question

My horse has lost hair from her face, neck and shoulders in big patches (not circles). She has been wearing a fly rug with a waterproof panel along the back because she always shivers if it rains (no matter how warm it is), but I have now taken it off in case the hair loss is due to getting too hot as she hasn't fully lost her winter coat yet, but I'm worried about her getting sunburnt on the bald patches now. I can't see any evidence of lice, but I have some Deosect that I could apply just in case, I just don't want to irritate her skin more. I have just had a worm count and equisal test done and she has a very low count for strongles, but does need treating for tapeworm so I have ordered double dose pyratape P. She has always had circles of a different colour in her coat since I've had her, which the vet thought was left over from an old ringworm infection, but she has had the all clear. She does also suffer with a photosensitive type reaction on her white socks, which I treat with Filtabac antibacterial sunblock. As this horse seems to struggle with her skin, should I call the vet out for this latest hair loss or monitor it now that I have removed the rug?
Category: Horse
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 7 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If you close my question do I get a refund?
Expert:  Horses replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, vet Andrew here. I have been away and unable to log on for a few days - I'm sorry no-one has answered your question, but I am able to now if you like. Please let me know if you want an answer by replying here. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please.
Expert:  Horses replied 7 months ago.

From your initial post I assume Tita is not scratching the areas, and that the skin exposed in the patches looks normal. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is correct.
Expert:  Horses replied 7 months ago.

Have you seen Rainscald before?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't look like any of the horses I've seen with rainscald before, but only because the times I've seen it, it has come up in lots of little bald patches, rather than a huge one.
Expert:  Horses replied 7 months ago.

OK. Rainscald can be patchy and even follow the run-off pattern of water when a horse is out in the rain. The proper way to approach this is with a vet visit, full examination, skin scrapes and biopsies. However, this can get complicated and expensive very quickly. To rule out rainscald and fungal/bacterial infections, pick up a bottle of Imaverol shampoo from your vets and wash as directed to rule out ringworm. Malaseb can also be effective, especially against rainscald. If the lesions fail to improve in two weeks or worsen, it's time for a vet visit.

Another possibility is alopecia areata, which is a non-infectious immune disorder causing hair loss, although usually circular. It comes and goes and does not require treatment.

Have you any further questions?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for all of your help. I will try that. Can rainscald happen as a result of getting too hot and sweaty under her rain sheet? Otherwise the affected areas haven't been exposed to rain (until today).
Expert:  Horses replied 7 months ago.

Definitely. The organism likes moist conditions, so correcting the underlying cause is as important as treating it.

Expert:  Horses replied 7 months ago.

I hope all goes well for you and Tia. Best wishes, vet Andrew.

Expert:  Horses replied 7 months ago.

*Tita*

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much.