Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

i have a dimplex ashp la 11 ms. i am getting a message saying

Customer Question

i have a dimplex ashp la 11 ms. i am getting a message saying 'high pressure fault' and 'high pressure protection' on the control board. i have checked the pump works. the ashp fan starts and runs for about a minute then stops and i get the alarm. I have taken the side off the unit and noticed the drainage pipe was blocked so the unit was full of water. i have cleared this. what can i try next?

Optional Information:
What have you tried so far?: bleeding and repressuring the circuit. i've changed the auto bleed valve, i've checked circuit pump
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

the fault is referring to the heat pump not the heating system. Is it connect via a buffer?

Customer :

thanks for your reply but i'm not sure i understand. i spoke to dimplex who advised that the fault was likely to be lack of flow through the heat pump rather than a fault with the heat pump which is the opposite of what you're saying. There is a large (800 litre) calorifier inthe circuit, is this what you mean by the buffer. There is a rattling sound form the water circulation pump which i assume means there is air in the circuit but i'm stumped as to how to purge it beyond bleeding from the auto breather.

Andrew Smith :

Yes the calorifier will be the buffer.

Andrew Smith :

The heat pump is showing a fault within its own circuit (perhaps not a faulty unit) are you able to bleed the pump using the screw in the centre?

Customer :

bleed the pump via the centre screw as you suggested. Looked promising, HP started, circuit pump still rattling tho. after maybe 30 secs the circuit pump switched off, the HP coninued then after another 30 secs the HP stopped, the error message appeared and the circuit pump restarted, still rattling

Andrew Smith :

Can you take the screw out and leave it out for at least 10 minutes, just make sure the pressure is above 1.5bar at all times

Customer :

can do but how much water should i expect to come out. Also should i leave it switched off of have it running?

Customer :

whats the max pressure i can let the system rise to? the top up valve is the other end of the house so its not easy to judge the pressure but it's doable

Andrew Smith :

Around 1.5bar, there may be a trickle of water coming out

Customer :

did all of that and got about 2 litres out all told. started it up but exactly the same. When i switch on the circuit pump starts then the HP fan (i'm assuming the HP pump is also running but i can't see or hear it to be certain) then the circulation pump switches off and the HP continues to run. After a wile the HP switches off and the circulation pump restarts. surely this is not right because the circulation pump should run all the time otherwise the HP will overheat and switch off to protect itself. Which is exactly what's happening so it the problem with the circulation pump switching off? presumably i could test this by wiring the circulation pump on a permanently live circuit just prove the point. thoughts?

Andrew Smith :

Let me see if there is an aircon expert out there for you

Customer :

ok thanks

Customer : Andrew
Customer : how do we wrap this up. I've solved this myself. It's the control unit. So I'd like to agree what is a reasonable fed for your help. I'm not sure I can honestly say it warrants £36 but I'd like agree this with you. Please also advise how I close the case without giving a review as per your blurb. Thanks john