Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

My mothers has a Potterton boiler. She feels the cold terribly

Customer Question

My mother's has a Potterton boiler. She feels the cold terribly and therefore has the heating on most of the time and usually very high. British Gas serviced the boiler a couple of days ago and said it was fine. The red CH and HW lights come on but not the green "pilot" light. Is this because the thermostat is up to temperature or is something wrong? I thought the green light should always be on if the heating and water is on?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. The green light should go on until temperature is reached. Do the radiators seem to be hot or are they cooler on the top?

JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : Radiators arere still cold even though heating has not come on all last evening and we are now at 8am the following morning. At first I thought it was because the correct temperature had been reached but the thermostat has now been at the highest setting and heating has still not kicked in. A BG enginer is coming back this morning - 4th in 4 days - and I want to be able to give him a clear picutre of what is not happening when I think it should be? The original service engineer switched something at the back of the programmer. Afraid I don't know wxactly what model the boiler is other than Kingfisher fitted 13 years ago. A neighbour suggested pump although from service record it looks as is a new one wa fitted 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Is the pump extremely hot to the touch? Is there a gauge next to the boiler? If so what does the pressure say? The hot water is working?

JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : Hi Mr C
canuck the pro :

canuck the pro :

I've never been called that before. I feel like I should be sure you have your hand up before you ask any further questions! He he

JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : Hopefully the engineer has diagnosed the problem correctly - the PCB switch was sticking and rherefore needs replacing. This is why although everything was "on", because the switch was stuck the system was not kicking back and heating up the water again. Phew what a nightmare this has been.
canuck the pro :

I see. Well if questions are still looming I will be here whenever you need.

JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : Thanks - roll on summer - you can then flex your air conditioning muscles!!
canuck the pro :

Very good!

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : Hello
JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : Hi
JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : hi - well I would first have to ask where is the water pump ( which gives you some indication of how ignorant of boilers i am) and then then i can't see any gauge although presume there must be some way to read the pressure as that would be quite important - si?
canuck the pro :

Well if you have a combi system the pressure gauge would be on the piping next to the boiler. The pump would be on the piping. Hard to say where it would be but it may look like this:

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

or this

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

or maybe this

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : Oh how sweet - at first glance picture 1 looks like Peter the Steam Engine, I wonder where his friend Paul is?
JACUSTOMER-jgi5mu0t- : oh - at first glance picture 1 looks like Peter the Steam Engine... I wonder where his friend Paul is? Combi - dunno? Gravity - yes, I am extremely serious.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
Are you talking about lights on the boiler or on the programmer.
The lights on the programmer will be on all the time they are programmed to, the green light on the boiler may only light up when the boiler is actually firing.
do you have the model of potterton boiler?