Jerry
Jerry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Epa universal certification, hearth products specialized.
34748161

my oil burner is smokey

Customer Question

my oil burner is smokey
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Black sooty looking smoke indicates incomplete combustion caused normally be too much oil or not enough air. The oil pressure and jet determine the amount of oil and they rarely change.The air is controlled by the air inlet to the boiler and mechanical adjustments to the fan. Its possible the setting was not properly locked and has moved. Check nothing is blocking the flue air intake also.

JACUSTOMER-lf11l3sw- :

the oil and air settings were the first things i check before looking for advice

canuck the pro :

What about a blockage in the flue?

JACUSTOMER-lf11l3sw- :

The air and oil settings were the first things i check before looking for advice The oil presser is set at 9 bar in accordances with manufactures instructios . th appliances has a balanced flue and i have adjusted the air inlet to no affect.

canuck the pro :

Have you checked to be sure the damper is not sticking closed?

JACUSTOMER-lf11l3sw- :

The burner is a Riello RDB ( the air damper is manual ajusted and dus not move

canuck the pro :

I am guessing that you have confirmed it is open?

canuck the pro :

When the handle is in line with the flue it is open

JACUSTOMER-lf11l3sw- :

yes i opened it more than was required but still smokey

canuck the pro :

If you have a new nozzle and all else checks out either there is a blockage in the flue that would require disconnecting the flue and inspecting or the damper handle is broken and not directing the damper or the burner has a lot of debris around it and is possibly rusted out and needing replacement.

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

JACUSTOMER-lf11l3sw- :

No

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Hi I understand that you have a Riello Rdb Burner the one with the red plastic Shroud? Can you tell me the make of the boiler please and age thanks. Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I asked for the make of Boiler as smoke is often caused by the Baffle set up and has absolutely nothing to do with the Riello Burner. I will wish you success in finding out your fault. Best regards Brian