Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

Problem with Worcester Bosch 19/24 cbi boiler. The boiler does

Customer Question

Problem with Worcester Bosch 19/24 cbi boiler. The boiler does not come on in the morning or evening when put on timer. I can hear the boiler trying to fire up but it doesn't ignite. In order to get it to come on I need to turn the control knob completely anti clockwise to zero then back round again. Once its on it comes on and off as normal. I recently replaced the PCB, thermostat and thermistor due to a different issue.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

it sounds like an ignition problem, have you had it cleaned recently?

JACUSTOMER-tge3fd5e- :

Andrew, if there was a problem with the ignition then why would it work when the control knob is turned to zero then up again?

Andrew Smith :

It means it gets another 3 attempts at lighting

Andrew Smith :

Can you hear it actually trying to light?

Andrew Smith :

Do you get the green flame light illuminated if it fails to light?

JACUSTOMER-tge3fd5e- :

I hear the pump come on but that's all. The power light and the lockout light both illuminate.

Andrew Smith :

Does the lockout light go out when you press the reset and then come on again once it has tried to light?

JACUSTOMER-tge3fd5e- :

When the control knob is turned to zero and then back, the boiler comes on and operates normally. The lock out lights goes off. The boiler works fine until its off for a period of time; ie overnight, then will not go on and goes into lock out.

Andrew Smith :

It could be just dirty electrodes preventing it from lighting the first time

Andrew Smith :

When was the last time it was cleaned and serviced?

JACUSTOMER-tge3fd5e- :

It was serviced last year so I don't think that's the problem. Whatever the issue is, the action of resetting it after lock out appears to clear the problem.

Andrew Smith :

I suppose it depends whether it was stripped down and serviced correctly?

Andrew Smith :

Are you able to take the front cover and off and check to see it is lights correctly but doesn't know its lit?

JACUSTOMER-tge3fd5e- :

H

JACUSTOMER-tge3fd5e- :

Yes have taken cover off and no its not lit.