canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

flexixom30x My heating is working but no water is coming

Customer Question

flexixom30x My heating is working but no water is coming out of any hot taps. Thankyou
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Have you had anything serviced recently? Is the stop on the boiler turned off?

Customer:

I haven't had it serviced this year it is 2.5 years old. What is the stop?

canuck the pro :

The shut off valve for the feed for the boiler.

Customer:

I am a woman by the way, I haven't turned anything off. It was fine yesterday and the heating is fine.

canuck the pro :

I am glad. Women have better ability for.....well everything except for carrying heavy stuff. There is no water coming out of the hot water taps at all or it is not hot but water does come out?

Customer:

No water comes out of the hot taps nothing at all. The cold taps are running fine.

canuck the pro :

Do you have a combi system or gravity fed?

Customer:

Combi i think gloworm flexicom 30x. it heats water when you want it.

canuck the pro :

Had there been reduced water pressure on the hot water until it stopped? Had it seemed that the hot water pressure was much lower than the cold previously to it stopping?

Customer:

No the same as normal. Though it is usually slower anyway, but no noticeable difference.

canuck the pro :

Do you ever hear the boiler fire when the heating is on?

Customer:

Yes occasionally. It has recently sounded a bit trickley when it is filling certain rads. The pressure is at 2.5 bar and it has taps underneath to top it up

canuck the pro :

Is there any status error message on the boiler?

Customer:

There is no f error flashing and when i went into the mode for status it said s41 but that doesn't seem to be on the list in m y manual.

canuck the pro :

Ok. I might be about five minutes while I review.

Customer:

thank you

canuck the pro :

The inlet filter is blocked with debris. If you inspect at the cold inlet on the boiler there is a filter there that is there to collect any debris from entering the boiler. If you turn the water off where it enters the boiler and clean the debris out of the inlet filter all will be well. You may have to disconnect the feed line to access the filter or there may be a union or it may be clearly labeled and very accessible.

Customer:

I will have a bash and get back to you. If you are offline i wont give you a rating until we have spoke again because it may take me a while. Thankyou

canuck the pro :

No problem at all. Take your time. I will be offline for the next couple hours but I will check in to see if you have further questions. If it is not clear to you where the filter is then please send some pictures of the piping entering the boiler and I can mark it and give more specific direction since it depends on if the piping kit was used.

Customer:

I cleaned the filter it was clogged to death. The hot water is now working thank you but the radiators aren't coming on when i put the heating on. Im at home tomorrow so don't worry if you don't reply tonight.

canuck the pro :

We just got back from playing outside. Perfect timing. Did you turn any valves off?

Customer:

Just the isolation ones on the filter.

canuck the pro :

What is the pressure at on the heating?

Customer:

If you mean the bar 2.5

canuck the pro :

Yes. Are the radiators warm? Just not hot?

Customer:

totally off

canuck the pro :

There must be some sediment is now stuck in the port valve. Set back to hot water. With a small tool or even a hammer, Give the port valve a couple light taps then switch back to heating and see if that sorts it out.

Customer:

wres the port valve lol

canuck the pro :

See, a man would have just left and started hammering on stuff. It is on the plumbing and has a wired motorized valve on top of it. The motorized part moves the diverter pin in the port valve directing hot water where it needs to go. Let me see if I can find a picture of one.

Customer:

ha ha

canuck the pro :

It's probably a motorized part that looks like this:

Full Size Image
Give a few taps to the brass part this is connected to. Maybe even have a tap running on the hot taps when you do that. Then turn the tap off and switch to heating again and see if that works.

Customer:

I don't think it has. The water is fine but when i flick the thermostat on nothing happens.

Customer:

What do you mean switch to heating my boiler does both at the same time and so does the thermostat. Sorry for being a thicko.

canuck the pro :

Maybe I am the thicko. So turning up the thermostat does not activate the heating then?

canuck the pro :

Were you able to find the port valve?

Customer:

Yes but the hot water is always on. I don't know if I have tightend the port valve enough because it seems to rev up when i am moving it. Let me have another go. If it doesnt work this time I will have another go in the daylight because my boiler is in the loft.

canuck the pro :

Tighten? What are you tightening on it?

Customer:

the magna thing that was attached to the port valve popped out. I'm going to take a light up and re attatch it properly. If that doesnt work and I rate you, do i get another question for 22 quid?

canuck the pro :

You can still comment and ask questions even after the rating. You can wait until the problem is solved also. I am not impatient and neither are you. We will solve the issue. I will be online most of the day tomorrow also. It is 430 pm here now Sunday. I will be back on in 8 or 9 hours from now for about 5-6 hours then off again for about an hour and back on for another 3 or 4. You can't miss me. I will be here as soon as you need me.

Customer:

thanks there seems to be a leak on the port but it is probably me. We can resume tomorrow. Thanks very much

You are very welcome and thank you very much also! Chat with you tomorrow then. Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The heating is working but two rads are not. The ones that are on won't go off when I click the thermostat to off. Help lol. Maybe it is the thermostat but I am using it on manual.

Seems maybe everything is getting closer to working,eh? So the thermostat did operate previously? Is it a new thermostat? Wireless?