Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

Hi,Can you help please?I have a 20 year old Glow-worm Hideaway

Can you help please?
I have a 20 year old Glow-worm Hideaway 100 or 120 (The Gas Reference number is XXXXX 313 26 or 28) and the heat exchanger has gone ... water leaking out. I have had my wonderful Plummer around ... even on a Sunday afternoon ... and we are exploring options. He will contact his 'people' tomorrow but I was wondering if you could help or put me in touch with somebody who knows what they are talking about.
Our options seem to be ...
Option 1 try and track down a new/second hand Hideaway ... forgotten (and on a dusty shelf) by some distant supplier. Who could I contact?
Option 2 Try and find a new/secondhand Heat Exchanger: I dont know the Part Number. Who could I contact?
Option 3 Fit a new one which is suitable for running this big 1903 house! He recommends the Worchester Highflow or the Potterton Kingfisher MF: any other ideas?
Denis
Category: HVAC
Expert:  jhvac replied 3 years ago.

jhvac :

I would definitely go with either of the new systems, they will be so much more efficient. Also it will be less of a headache to have a new system serviced and find parts when needed.

Expert:  jhvac replied 3 years ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

By the way, I would definitely take the advice of your technician, he evidently has done everything he can to keep the system running.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have found this on eBay and my man Mike XXXXX is going to speak to John, the seller. Would you like to ring him up on my behalf and have a chat because it is a big decision. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glow-Worm-Hideaway-35Kw-Floor-Standing-Cast-Iron-boiler-/201038909868?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2eceda51ac Cheers Denis

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.
I would first check eBay for an old one and strip the heat exchanger out - probably the cheapest and easiest route based on the age of the boiler;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glow-Worm-Hideaway-35Kw-Floor-Standing-Cast-Iron-boiler-/201038909868?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2eceda51ac

Secondly I would try and locate a new heat exchanger which should give you another 20 years worth of heating if the rest of the boiler lasts;
Parts Centre would hold the biggest stock, try them first.

The Potterton Kingfisher would probably be an ideal replacement for your existing boiler
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience: Heating and Controls engineer