Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

having problem with glow worm bbu back boiler ignition problem

Customer Question

having problem with glow worm bbu back boiler ignition problem oxy pilot and interupter have been changed new pcb has been fitted.pilot light ignites but goes out and cut out switch comes on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

It sounds like the ignition lead is split

Andrew Smith :

Can you tell me if it continues to "tick" even when the pilot is lit?

JACUSTOMER-pn3wr20f- :

no it stops clicking then pilot goes out and red cutout light comes on

Andrew Smith : Ok, it knows its lit then?
Andrew Smith : does it tick until it goes out?
Andrew Smith : it could still be an ignition lead fault, for the sake of £2
Andrew Smith : I would change it anyway, this is the first part I would have swapped?
JACUSTOMER-pn3wr20f- :

iam the third engineer to go to this job so idont know if they changed it when they did the board or the oxy pilot can we rule out the gas valve

JACUSTOMER-pn3wr20f- :

i will change the ignition lead first thing

Andrew Smith :

The gas valve should be fine, even if the main solenoid had gone then the pilot would still stay on

JACUSTOMER-pn3wr20f- :

they had already changed the whole control box including ignition lead and thermostatic control and pcb also oxy pilot and interuptor

Andrew Smith :

The only thing I can think of then is that the pilot flame is not big enough to cover the thermocouple tip and the boiler does not know it is lit. Are you able to see if it glows red?

JACUSTOMER-pn3wr20f- :

i did think of that so i held blow torch on it but no difference

JACUSTOMER-pn3wr20f- :

i found out that pcb is not a glow worm product client told me he got it off internet and he could get his money back.so am going to start again with new board

Andrew Smith :

ok - let me know

JACUSTOMER-pn3wr20f- :

it was the gas valve