canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

Vaillant ecoTEC Wall hung room sealed fan assisted condensing

Vaillant ecoTEC Wall hung room sealed fan assisted condensing boiler.
This started showing F75 faults last November. The heating only came on when more water was added manually. In December the local plumber fitted a new sensor valve, drained everything down and added fresh inhibitor. It lasted 4 days. The plumber came again and adjusted all the pressures. This worked until after Christmas then stopped again. Adding water gets it going. Water was last added 36 days ago but the heating did not come on on Thursday 6th March although all pressure dials seemed at the right levels. My son put more water into the system and the heating came on although there was some discharge of water from the overflow pipe. Pump must be ok. The plumber hasn't come back - I don't think he knows what to do. Faults always F75 HELP please!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. So you may already know that the code indicates no pressure rise when the pump turned on. You may also know that may indicate that the water pressure sensor or pump is bad or not enough water in the appliance or even air in the system. You may also know that the error is very difficult to assess as the indications of the code are broad. Often the internal pressure vessel is at issue. Very often upon installation the pressure is not adjusted to match the incoming main pressure. Many times this can be corrected by installing an external expansion tank. I hope your plumber comes back as this problem can cause some plumbers to stop returning phone calls!

canuck the pro :

If you have further questions please do not hesitate. If I am offline I will respond as quickly as I can.

Customer:

Is the internal pressure vessel the same as the expansion tank? Could this have a leak inside? Would replacing this tank solve the problem

Customer:

Is the internal pressure vessel the same as the expansion tank?

Customer:

Would replacing this tank solve the problem? My house is up for sale and I want it to work AND look good.

canuck the pro :

The internal pressure vessel has a diaphragm in it. If the diaphragm is broken then it would be easiest to add and external pressure vessel instead of replacing the specific internal or check the pressure and check the diaphragm of the internal pressure vessel and pressurize or replace as necessary.

Customer:

How do you check the diaphragm? Would the heating work sometimes if there was a small leak in the diaphragm as mine is doing? Would all plumbers know how to do this?

canuck the pro :

Yes the plumber would certainly know how to check it. I think it is likely fine except the pressure needs to be adjusted on it.

Customer:

The pressure has been adjusted but it doesn't last - that's the problem. From the last adjustment it lasted 36 days. It has a new sensor valve and the pump is obviously working as it's working now but this has been on going since November. My plumber obviously doesn't know what to do next - are you a Vaillant specialist? Sorry to keep asking questions but I don't feel I've got any further.

canuck the pro :

No problem. I am a plumbing expert and I do know that this is a troublesome issue for a lot of plumbers. The pressure that was adjusted was likely not the expansion vessel. If it was then it may be leaking. I am sorry that you feel you have not gotten any further. I am unsure how else to explain. Possibly if you could talk to your plumber and explain as I have explained he will understand what to do?

Customer:

Thank you for your time & help; I just wish you were my plumber!

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome