Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

Vaillant ecotec boiler showed f28 probably due to low pressure,

Vaillant ecotec boiler showed f28 probably due to low pressure, rectified the pressure then restarted heating works no problem but the hot water is turned off, when I turn the valve to allow hot water through (this valve is normally closed) the pressure drops off in the boiler. Tried turning it off and on again several times just in case.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Can you confirm that the cold water feed to the boiler is currently off?

Customer:

Yes I turned both valves back to the off position otherwise the boiler pressure would continue to rise.

XXXXX XXXXX :

There is only one that makes the water go through the boiler to feed the hot taps.

XXXXX XXXXX :

The other is just to fill the heating.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Have you tried turning one on only?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Can you attach a photo?

Customer:

There is the valve from the mains that is only used to fill the boiler that needs to be turned with a screw driver. There is also a valve with a big red tap that is also usually turned off, when both taps are on the boiler pressure increases. If I leave the red tap on (second in the line of flow) but turn off the mains valve, the hot water works for a few seconds but the pressure in the boiler plummets then the whole system turns off. By having both taps turned off at least the heating works. If both taps are left on the pressure just keeps increasing, if the first valve is left on but the red valve closed then nothing happens.

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXX : That is because it is a poor installation.
XXXXX XXXXX : you should have a screwdriver type valve at each end of the flexible to allow you to leave all the valve on and the loop turned off
XXXXX XXXXX : it is not even the correct flexible
XXXXX XXXXX : looking at the picture you should be able to turn on the screwdriver valve and turn off the gate valve
XXXXX XXXXX : if this does not work then replace the gate valve as they are not made to take mains pressure, they are used for low pressure
XXXXX XXXXX : You should replace the filling loop for the correct one also
XXXXX XXXXX : The wiring looks great too!
Customer:

Yay, I have hot water and heating thank you. I thought I had tried all the valve combinations obviously not. Will get the valve and loop replaced. Thank you again. Joy

Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience: Heating and Controls engineer