canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

why is my boiler buzzing on and off every few seconds

Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Does the noise seem to be coming from the PCB board or the pumps?

Customer:

Its coming from inside the hotwater tank

canuck the pro :

Have you ever had it flushed?

Customer:

Not sure - had it serviced when we were away and rented the property out but that was 6 years ago

canuck the pro :

Oh yes six years is a long time. The buzzing will be one of two things. The first most likely is a capacitor on the PCB is failing and not conditioning power well. The next is the boiler has debris that needs to be flushed out. The boiler is recommended to be flushed once per year. No worries hardly anyone ever does that but service is overdue.

Customer:

how long does it take and do you know anyone who could do it today - I have an open house tomorrow as selling and its definitely getting on my nerves

canuck the pro :

It would depend on what needs to be done. The flushing could take a couple of hours. If you remove the long white cover you may find that it is the capacitor that is humming. Capacitors are often able to be assessed just by looking at them. Are you familiar what a capacitor is? I am unsure about who you can call to have it serviced.

Customer:

Yes it has got a long white cover and it is that thats humming. How can I find help in a hurry - am in Pinner Middx. - any recommendations?

canuck the pro :

If you contact boilermate they could recommend someone in your area. We are mostly here to help you troubleshoot and fix things within your comfort level. Do you have the manual?

Customer:

Yes but its too hard for me to understand. I think I don't have any more time to chat I need to get someone urgently thanksa lot

canuck the pro :

I ask about the manual because the contact information for your area should be on the back page. Sounds like a capacitor is the issue. Should be a quick fix.

Customer:

Thanks and bye bye

canuck the pro :

If you are trying to rate my service are you satisfied with my service? You are very welcome. I will be here whenever you need. Mike

canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience: Plumber and Handyman