canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

Problem with radiator circuit in large manor type house which

Problem with radiator circuit in large manor type house which has approximately 30 radiators mainly cast iron after installing a new biomass boiler to replace old oil fired unit we have had a problem with slow filling from F&E tank the bedroom rads on 1st floor have a head of about 2 metres so to quicken the filling time applied a hose to force feed which was far quicker eventually all rads got full and heat got round to all rads but after leaving on for 4 days found that 6 off rads on 1st floor have gone cold and with no water in them.
Prior to refilling and turning on we have had a full system flush and clean with no problems with water sample when completed, any suggestions please.

Kind Regards

Colin Tallents.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.I will say that flushing is no guarantee that all the sludge is going to be removed from the system. Especially with that many radiators. When you bleed them does any air come out? Hopefully it is not a blockage at all but rather an air pocket.

Customer:

I agree with your point on flushing the system but what I can't fathom out after filling system under pressure from our temporary mains hose they all fill and vent ok and do get to temperature but after a 3/4 days why would they go cold and loose water.

canuck the pro :

Possibly there is still air trapped in the system or there might be a leak somewhere that is drawing air in. If your pressure seems stable then most likely there is still air trapped in the system.

canuck the pro :

If there has not been regular service done then sludge can still be in the system that would trap pockets of air. If you get onto a regular schedule of service these problems will likely work out and hopefully you can find some other places to bleed air and get the air worked out of the system.

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Customer:

Good morning, yes your information has been helpful we have gone through various exercises and one of them was disconnecting the cold feed that goes into the return pipe work and this had a certain amount of sludge in the bottom of the pipe work,we have since cleaned this out and system seems to fill better, just one other thought the heating pump is on the return pipe work where would you say the cold feed connection should be. Kind Regards C.Tallents.

canuck the pro :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thank you for images sent could you mark up where cold feed connection would go on either images or describe please. Regards C.Tallents

canuck the pro :

The cold feed would be connected to the cold feed inlet on your boiler. Also to all of your cold connections for faucets etc. Are you not able to locate your filling loop? It would be beneath the boiler.

canuck the pro :

Customer:

Good morning, thank you for your reply I am sorry but have probably mislead you in relation to the cold feed position, we have as previously stated we have installed a biomass boiler in replacement for the old oil fired boiler in doing this operation we have kept the old oil fired boiler in situ as a back up just in case of any failure with the biomass however we have interconnected our new set up through a plate heat exchanger and also incorporated the cold feed and open vent from existing f&e tank this is why I wanted your opinion of where the cold feed should be installed in relation to the pump which is on the return to system. Kind Regards XXXXX

canuck the pro :

Alright well the the cold feed is direct to the boiler and still the same as described. Have you piped it differently? Do you believe that the issue with your system is somehow a fault of where the cold feed is currently?

canuck the pro :

canuck the pro :

Have you had any trouble positively rating my service? There have been troubles with the rating system but if you comment with your positive rating I can have it manually processed.

canuck the pro :

canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience: Plumber and Handyman