Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

My baxicombi boiler has an increasingly frequent fault. When

My baxicombi boiler has an increasingly frequent fault. When the system needs the boiler on your hear the initial "click" it sounds like the fan runs, another "click" and the boiler does not light. It continues like this for a while "testing" before trying to light then it stops altogether and a red warning light comes on. Sometimes a sharp whack on the front panel temporarily cures the problem. Today the system failed for two hours before eventually lighting. Any suggestions as to the problem area would be much appreciated.
Many thanks, Lawrence
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

It sounds like a simple ignition fault

XXXXX XXXXX :

It could be caused by semi dirty electrodes not creating a hot enopugh spark to light the gas every time

XXXXX XXXXX :

Are you able to take the cover off and clean them - do you have the manual to show you how to do this?

Customer:

Andrew, sorry I know it's an ignition fault. Very unlikely I think to be the electrodes as the system has been serviced recently. Don't these boliers do an airflow check before firing up? Might it not be a fault with this area.

XXXXX XXXXX :

If it is not getting to the ignition stage then it could be the Air Pressure Switch

Customer:

Andrew, might the fault lie

XXXXX XXXXX :

If the APS is not triggering then you should try cleaning the fan and connecting tubes to the APS and see if it helps to start with

XXXXX XXXXX :

P.S. Not all "services" include cleaning the boiler......

Customer:

Thanks for that, I'll see what can be done with the APS,

XXXXX XXXXX :

Once you have cleaned the tubing then put it back together and see if the APS clicks when the fan runs - if not then take the tube off the fan and blow/suck very lighlty on the tube and see if you can make it click yourself

Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience: Heating and Controls engineer