MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
11519491

i have a riello mectron 3 oil burner 25 years old and its

i have a riello mectron 3 bm oil burner 25 years old and its not cutting in when it should do is it time to purchase a new one and if so what is the replacement model and approximate cost thanking you
Eddie
Category: HVAC
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 2 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
Please explain the exact thing that happens, will it run at all?
Also is your oil burner for hot air or hot water(a boiler)?
Kerosene is very good in place of #2 heating oil.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

the burner is attached to a boiler for a domestic heating system and it fires up for a short time and then cuts out when i hit the red button to start it up again it just does the same thing there is oil in the tank and the glass bottle beside the boiler is full of oil

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, this sounds like a one of two things, either the cad cell(eye) that looks for the flame is dirty or failed, or the reset is bad.
Usually its a cad cell that looks at the flame that is the trouble.
If you turn off the power! And you need to, then open the transformer, the cad cell should be right on there and may just need to be cleaned.
Or if you have a stack relay instead, that would need replacement.
There is no need to replace the whole oil burner.
Please let me know what you have when you look, if yous uses a stack relay it may need to just be reset and I can help there as well.
Also let me ask, when was the last professional cleaning the oil burner had?
Thank you Eddie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael,

as far as i remember its a cad cell i am not at home at the moment but i will try your suggestions when i get back but i do remember there was a small drop of oil in the burner casing would that have been from firing the red button a couple of times and it was cleaned and serviced during the summer of last year

When you press the button, does it fire at least for a little bit?
Please don't keep pushing the button because it could cause a bad thing.
You don't want that trust me.
I will stick with you and we will get this fixed, and it really is not a bad problem. but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Eddie.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it does fire for a little bit and thank you for your detailed help

regards

Eddie

Anytime Eddie,
that further says its just a sensor issue no need to replace the system.

Please rate kindly so I can set up free follow ups with you.
Thank you and have a great Sunday!
Tech Michael
MasterFixIt, Handyman
Experience: Handyman