Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

We have had a Vaillant Ecotec plus condensing boiler since

We have had a Vaillant Ecotec plus condensing boiler since 2006 and in the main are very pleased with it. However, just recently the boiler has not been responding to the wireless Drayton Digistat room controller that was installed at the same time as the boiler. The boiler usually springs into action at the set time in the morning but will not come on at any other time of day. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now and is hugely irritating! We thought at first that the batteries needed to be replaced in the room controller but this was not the case. Please help as we are now at our wit's end.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX : Can you take the transmitter off the wall and place under the boiler and tell me how it performs over the next 24 hours?
Customer:

We have already tried that, thanks. The green light shows on the receiver on the wall directly underneath the boiler as if the boiler is working, but it isn't. Also a flame appears on the digistat controller as if the boiler is working, but it isn't. It's as if there is no signal going to the boiler to activate it, but it comes on every morning so there must be some signal going through. Most perplexing.

XXXXX XXXXX : It could be a sticking relay in the receiver, do you want to try a wire around to see if it changes anything and rules out the stat?
Customer:

Sorry, I am not too sure what you mean exactly. What sort of wire do you mean? Am I to tie the wire around the digistat controller? I know that this makes me sound dense but I am a female pensioner with no D.I.Y. skills whatsoever!

XXXXX XXXXX : No, I meant insert a link wire inside the receiver to get the boiler to fire
XXXXX XXXXX : Can you confirm the pressure on the boiler gauge?
Customer:

The pressure is reading 1.8 at the moment. I have no idea where I can put a link wire, sorry.

XXXXX XXXXX : you will have to turn the power off and take the cover off the receiver, if you can tell the colours of the wires and terminal numbers I will then tell you which 2 wires to link together to get the heating working again
Customer:

I have turned the power off, but the boiler is located in our airing cupboard and the receiver is directly underneath it on the back wall, so it is a bit difficult to get to. It looks as if I will need to break the casing to get it off.

XXXXX XXXXX : there should be a screw or a clip underneath
XXXXX XXXXX : do you think you are at the point where you need to get an expert to sort this for you?
Customer:

We asked British Gas to send us an engineer a while ago and he did nothing at all except to tell us that we needed a power flush for hundreds of pounds! I read in our paper that if the engineer recommends something and you do not take him up on it then they will not come back out to the same problem, and that is why I have contacted you. If you are unable to help further then obviously I will have to spend a lot more money to get this sorted.

XXXXX XXXXX : You could use a local plumber that will not charge you hundreds of pounds just to ask his opion
XXXXX XXXXX : opinion and see if he can follow the heat around
Customer:

Will do.