Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

Copper vs multilayer plastic pipes? I am putting in a wood

Copper vs multilayer plastic pipes?

I am putting in a wood burning boiler (no gas available, but ready supply of good priced burning oak).

It will be feeding the rads through a 1000 litre heat store, so I can top up with air to water pump at a later date. Though not a loads of rooms, is quite a wide and spread out house, thinking probably a couple of manifolds and micro bore to the rads.

Obviously metal between boiler / thermal store. But for heating circuit..

Copper is more expensive and I can't solder, plastic cheaper and I can do it myself. Is there a good reason to use one or the other?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX : Copper is tougher although studies have not been around long enough for plastic for comparison.
XXXXX XXXXX : plastic is better as it insulates better so it gives off less heat on its way to its final heat emitter and you use less bends dues to the flexibility of the pipe
Customer:

Thanks for your reply. Plastic sounds like the way to go then.