canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

I have a 9 year old Potterton Suprima 80 which works perfectly

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Potterton Suprima 80 which works perfectly and is under annual service. Till now flue emissions have been fine but recent service engineer said emissions were nearing fail and they wont get any better due to boiler age and next time they could blank it off. I asked if emissions can be adjusted and he said no and recommended new boiler. Is this correct that there is no adjustment. In Potterton manual it talks about cleaning burner, adjusting jets but none of this is ever done on service. Should I consider new boiler or change service.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Seems a bit extreme to replace the boiler. You are correct that cleaning the burner area will certainly help it burn cleaner. Being sure the condensate drain is clear also. If there is a blockage the condensate will back up into the fan and moisture can cause issue with exhaust also. Maybe

canuck the pro :

Finding a service that provides total service will be better for you. If you look in the back ofyour manual there uis contact information for Potterton. They can offer suitable and preferred techs in your area