Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

I have a bentone oil burner B9B on a danesmoor utility15/19

Customer Question

I have a bentone oil burner B9B on a danesmoor utility15/19 CF.
after a electrical fault on the burner [ a large flash ] it stop working. I replaced the control box and some cables and managed to get the thing running but would not fire due to no oil coming thru the pump. I then replaced the oil pump thinking the solenoid valve was faulty,
but still no oil will come thru??? what else do i need to look at or replace, I've spoken to Worcester but they could help..... I've spent three days trying to contact bentone but as they are a Swedish firm I'm finding that to be a dead end.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.

Brian :

Hi when you replaced the pump did it come with a solenoid coil? sorry i cant remember what pump is on these. Also do you know if you have oil coming to the burner.

JACUSTOMER-rmiz98ok- : Like I said before oil is present at the pump I can even set the pressure
Brian :

Oh sorry I have not seen that you wrote you have oil at the pump. How quickly is it locking out. Can you also verify that the solenoid coil was changed when the pump was changed

JACUSTOMER-rmiz98ok- :

Hi Brian...... the burner goes thru normal start up cycle, then goes to lock out as no oil gets thru to burner. Yes the solenoid has been

JACUSTOMER-rmiz98ok- :

changed as its part of the oli pump [danfoss BFP41 L3] the cables to the solenoid are ok to??

Brian :

Ok These are pretty basic systems. I am going to go through the cycle one part at a time. I know you have confirmed some of this but it saves any confusion.

Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
1 Is oil reaching the pump. Is it a 1 or 2 pipe set up?

2 Has the pump been Bled and is oil coming out of the bleed vent with strong pressure.

3 Is the nozzle in good condition. (replace it if its near a year old anyway)

4 Does the Solenoid coil energise when going through firing cycle. Test it by taking it off the pump put a metal screwdriver through the hole and you will feel it go magnetic just before it goes to lockout.

5 Does the photocell operate and react to light correctly.

6 Do you have a spark.

These are the tests I would do if I was called to this job.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Brian, it is a single pipe set up and I have loads of oil at the pump. the nozzle has been replaced I have a spark and the photocell works fine. I tried the solenoid as you said with screw driver it did energize it, but I tried again and wasn't really sure if it was working I dropped a volt meter on it an there was 68volts coming thru just before lock out not sure if this is enough current??

Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nik, I am sorry I dont know the answer to that so I will opt out, I have never had the need to check on this burner. I have known a faulty solenoid coil to take out a control box with a big flash. I just hope you havn't lost another control box as you changed that first. Although I have opted out if I find anything I will come back in and let you know.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
If the solenoid was working and you loosen the nut on the pilot feed it will spray oil from the connection, can you confirm if it does this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried that an no oil came out.
Is the solenoid wired with a new wire or original wire?
Can you trace it back to the control box and check for power there during the ignition sequence