MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
11519491

I have a Firebird oil fired boiler c/w a Riello burner. Burner

Customer Question

I have a Firebird oil fired boiler c/w a Riello burner.
Burner was in lockout for reasons unknown, when I press the reset button the fan spins, and the burner fires as normal. However, after running for a while and at the normal point at which burner would cycle off (return water temp = supply water temp), the burner goes off and will not naturally restart I.e. you have to press the reset button again.

Stats appear fine, pump running fine, magic eye is clean and solenoid must be functioning, as it fires normally once reset is pressed.

Any ideas, as I am stumped

Category: HVAC
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 2 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
May I have the full model #?
I know whats wrong, but need the model # to be sure ;-)
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Boiler is a Firebird Popular 90 and the burner is a Riello 40

Ciaran

Thank you for that information.
How long will it run?
Is it pretty much exactly the same amount of time until is stops?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It will run until rads heat up and it naturally cycles off, just won't cycle on again without pressing the reset button.

Time wise about half hour or so...

And yes, pretty much the same each time i.e. runs up to temperature, then cycles off, then doesn't automatically cycle on again

Hi thank you for that information.
This is going to be a problem with the main control on the burner.
Unfortunately that part needs to be replaced.
Its not difficult to do and requires only a few basic hand tools. I can assist you with this repair.
Also I can help you locate the part from the best source as well.
Please let me know if you plan to do this or if you will have a burner tech make the swap?
I will stick with you until this is fixed one way or the other but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Tech Michael
d